The Department at a Glance
Cultural Studies Department
In 1960s, a new field of study called cultural studies emerged in the West. Similar to sociology, anthropology and sociology of culture, it addresses the culture. It could be considered a branch of sociology that studies the production, distribution, exchange and reception of cultural concepts.
The University of Science and Culture launched a master’s program in cultural studies to reach the following objectives:
- To train skilled workforce in cultural research.
- To train students who have a thorough knowledge about production, distribution and consumption of cultural products and are able to do research using quantitative and qualitative methods.
- To enhance cultural knowledge.
- To train those interested in culture to better understand the cultural developments of Iran and the world. Due to the astonishing speed of technology, various forms of technology have appeared, and their understanding requires at least a minimum of cultural sciences. For instance, lots of movies and novels cannot be interpreted and understood without knowing their theoretical and epistemological motives. Dissemination of cultural knowledge is part of a national policy that seeks to improve the lifestyle of people.
- To train cultural managers and enhance their cultural understanding. Cultural managers should have a thorough knowledge about the recent cultural developments to formulate cultural policies.
The graduates are expected to attain the following qualifications:
- To realize the dominant cultural movements of the world.
- To realize the national cultural issues and solve them.
- To organize and execute research plans.
- To develop the understanding needed to manage and formulate cultural policies.
Dr. Nassereddin Ghorab, Dr. Ali Saei, Dr. Mohsen Goodarzi, Dr. Azad Ermaki, Dr. Hadi Khaniki, Dr. Tofigh, Dr. Nabavi, Dr. Nejati Hosseini, Dr. Hossein Mirzaei, Dr. Mohammad Fazeli, Dr. Mohammad Reza Kolahi, Dr. Mostafa Mehraein, Dr. Ali Asghar Saeidi, Dr. Nader Amiri, Dr. Shahram Parastesh, Dr. Abbas Kazemi, Dr. Behzad Doran, Dr. Seyyed Zia Hashemi, Dr. Hashemi Rad, Iraj Feizi, Ali Sabbaghi, Dr. Hazeri, Dr. Behrang Seddighi, Dr. Hassan Rezaei, Dr. Reza Samim, Dr. Bahareh Arvin, Dr. Bahar, Dr. Fatemeh Sadeghi
Duration and Details
It takes two years to complete a master’s degree in cultural studies. The education system is semester and credit-based and the classes are convened in Tehran.
The students are required to pass educational credits and write and defend a thesis. They are expected to complete some makeup credits, 18 major credits, eight elective credits and finally six thesis credits.